Thursday, March 12, 2009

Are you KIDDING????

So after blogging last night I went back to Ben's room only to find they were trying to decide where to move him. Apparently one of his fingertips(where they previously drew blood) had an absess. The surgeon who put in Ben's central line noticed it, lanced it, and sent it off for a culture. Well, it came back positive for strep....they weren't sure which kind so Ben had to be isolated and tested. Needless to say, we moved rooms last night. Ben could no longer leave his room, the nurses had to wear gowns and gloves to enter, and I was only allowed in his room and off the cancer floor. This morning his blood test came back and he does not have flesh eating staph so he no longer has to be isolated. So while we were off having a hearing test (one of the chemo drugs can cause hearing loss) they moved us back to our old room. Ben also had an ultrasound of his kidneys and an echocardiogram done this morning. Then the doctors finally made their rounds. Ben's blood test for liver function was not good. It was one point too high to be allowed in the clinical trial for his cancer.... Now what? Ben's oncologist tried to see us before he left but he is now out of town until Monday. They drew blood again to retest...but we are waiting for results. If it's not one thing, it's another! I don't know what the plan is if he is not allowed in the clinical trial. The other contacts I have are also not in the hospital today. They will be back tomorrow and I am now waiting to hear from them.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry Cari! I cannot imagine the mounting frustration.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari - The good news is that Sis Allred, Sam & Nathan will be (are) there soon to visit, keep you company and help keep you trim and fit as they also take part in the Seattle Marathon!!Wow - you're going to have your high school girlish figure back in no time flat!! Its cold here again at night - we see you guys have rain - but it smells so good in Seattle in the rain..Do you have leaves on the trees-green is good! Give Ben a hug for us - The Coxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the kids! I think about it everyday! I wish it was under better circumstances though. Call me when you get your new cell phone. I'd love to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cari, stay strong, you are a spiritual athlete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has your computer been working lately? I sent you a really funny video, if you haven't seen "I'm the Mom" already. It's hilarious. I hope you read this. If you don't I'm going to have to find another way to reach you. Hmm... Well I love you guys and miss you so much. Be happy! Smiling makes you happy. It lifts your spirits. Think about cupcakes too.

    ReplyDelete