Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It has begun...

Today was the first day of Ben's radiation treatment. Something wasn't quite ready so he wasn't able to go in until noon. That meant he was very hungry because he hadn't eaten since dinner the night before! When we arrive each day we check in at the front desk before going downstairs to the recovery room. His nurse meets us there to take his vital signs. After that we are taken to the radiation room. The machine looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. I sit on the bench holding him and they hook up an iv to his hickman catheter. The nurses and radiology doctors sing to him as the white milky fluid enters his bloodstream. It doesn't seem to take long, seconds really before he falls asleep. Then they take him from my arms and I leave the room. The next time I see him is in the recovery room where I wait for him to wake up. He was HUNGRY today. He ate a fig newton and then drank a bottle of Boost as we walked back to the Ronald McDonald House. His personality seemed fine. He wanted to play but wanted me to carry him while he played. I'm not sure if he was tired from sedation or radiation or if he had a headache... by evening he was running around on his own again though. I think we'll be okay, but I'm still a little bit anxious. We won't know the long term effects (loss of IQ, behavioral problems, etc...) for a long time. AND....did I mention how badly I miss my other babies!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Ben is just incredible! He makes all of us look like the biggest wimps!!! I cannot even begin to imagine how much you are missing the rest of your family, and how much they are missing you and Ben. Our hearts and prayers are with ALL of you!

    More love than you can imagine!!!
    The Parkinson Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the first day is over so now you no longer have to anticipate what to expect. You are a trooper and Ben is so lucky to have you by his side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I keep forgetting my camera! I took a few pictures of Nate on Sunday but they're on my phone and I don't know how to put them on the computer...but never fear! I will succeed! Sooner or later anyways... I love you guys and hope all goes well! Have a great week/day/month...and Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben is such a trooper! And so are you! We have been sending lots of prayers for your whole family. Hang in there....and thanks for the updates and pictures. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that Ben's first day with radiation went well, we will continue to pray for him and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day - Cari! I love you & am praying for you & your family. May God be with you & your little ones this day...
    Candice & the "Boys"... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day Cari - from your AK visiting teachers.We dropped off brownies tonight at your house but no one answered the door-if your husband says anything - let him know its ok to eat them !! You are always being remembered in our prayers that you'll have the strength, courage, hope, faith to carry on. We love you and miss you too-thanks so much for keeping us all informed. Love Janie & Beth

    ReplyDelete